Thursday, May 23, 2013

The first 24 hours in Guatemala

Hey everyone!

So I have been in Guatemala for about 24 hours, and have experienced a lot!!!  The day started yesterday with 3:35am Mass with Fr. Steve and Notre Dame then off to the airport. The flights down were great, and we found our seminary representative right away. He gave us a quick driving tour of Guatemala City. I was surprised at how many things we have in America made it to Guatemala. Fast food places are everywhere, Shell gas, etc.  The driving in Guatemala is definitely not like in America. Motorcycles zoom in and out of lanes and go down the middle of lanes, and people just start walking right in front of you. We ate lunch at a local place that I believe Armando our seminary representative said was famous. I had chicken, tortillas, frijoles, and guacamole. It was delicious...I think I'll get used to eating like that!  After three hours more in the car we made it to the monastery. It's a beautiful place, and overlooks the city of Quetzaltenango ( also know as I found out as Xela).

We had Mass at 5:45am this morning and then took naps until breakfast. After breakfast was a tour of the campus and meeting the seminarians. Classes begin tomorrow, so I'm excited to meet my teacher and begin.

I don't know what we will do the rest of the day, but it's been beautiful here so far. It's been great to just sit outside and relax in the cool breeze. Plus I can play with Spike that way (Spike is the dog at the monastery).  I hope to put some photos up in time. Please pray for me as I pray for you.

-Chr....Cristobal

2 comments:

  1. Chris,
    It sounds like you are at the Spanish Academy of San Jose Priory of Marmion abbey. What a small world, I was educated at Marmion Academy and remember them opening the original Priory in Solola. Abbot John Brahill is coming down soon with students from the Academy. Good luck and God Bless your Vovation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a small world! That's awesome to hear. I'll have to tell him I know you when he visits. You probably also know Abbot Vincent. He helps at Mundelein a lot with Spiritual Direction. If I remember correctly, I heard he might visit too. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

      Delete