Saturday, May 25, 2013

A great past couple days

Hola mis amigos!

Everything in Guatemala is great. The food has been really good, and the people have been super friendly. Our friend Armando took us three American seminarians here on a tour of Xela. I saw the Cathedral, a theater, and the market place. I also had my first Spanish class yesterday with my teacher, Gilma. Gillma is hilarious!  She told me she is going to make class fun and she likes to teach with jokes!  Also this is so my mom won't be worried. She said she would act as my mom for the next 9 weeks, so I have nothing to worry about!  I was able to give my vocation story to her in Spanish which, for me, was very difficult. However, she understood it and I was able to say more than I thought I could in Spanish!  For class it is one on one, and it is 80% just talking in Spanish. I also have the opportunity to take trips to the city with my teacher and have lessons in Central Park or in other places besides the classroom.

Weekends are free here in Guatemala. Right now I'm just relaxing outside with my seminarian brother Keith and Spike. It is a beautiful day here. Only around 60 degrees and sunny. I hope to go to the American Embassy (McDonald's) for dinner just to experience it in Guatemala.  Everyone please know of my prayers!  Talk to you soon.

-Cristobal















6 comments:

  1. Hi Chris or "Cristobal" - very cool, that name might stick:) Good to hear you are settling in and it's all agreeing with you! We'll expect a full report on the McDonald's! take care, char

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Char!

      So here goes the full McDonald's report!

      I of course had to have the Big Mac meal ( that is what I always get when I go to McDonald's in a new country). It was actually pretty good. The fries taste exactly like the fries in America! The Big Mac itself was OK. The meat was...different, but the special sauce made up for it. The cafe was not good. I only got coffee because the water isn't safe to drink in the city, but coffee is heated up, so it's OK. The price was pretty much the same as America. It was 36 quetzals which is about $5 in American money.

      They have all the major fast food places down here, so if I ever need a taste of home I'm set!

      In other news, tell Doug I've already asked about San Andreas church, the big yellow one with all the colors. I was told for one of my classes my teacher and I can take a field trip to it!

      Talk to you soon!

      -Cristóbal

      Delete
  2. This is my first comment on a blog, so I'm not sure how this will work. It is interesting that you are in Guatemala and want to go to McD's. I spent 16 years of my working career in the McD's system and would ship items into Guatemala City for the stores. The food should taste the same, but I expect they may have some local items you can try.

    I will be praying for you, and really admire your energy and devotion to your vocation. Do enjoy your Spanish lessons - immersion is the best way to learn a language I hear.
    Kathy King - ND Parishoner (and choir member)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the message Kathy! I have always loved McDonald's since I was a little kid, so whenever I'm in another country (which isn't often) I like to go. The food tasted very similar. Especially the fries! The water in the city isn't safe to drink, so I had the coffee, because it is heated.

      I have only had one day of class so far. I really like my teacher! She is very funny, and makes class very stress free. My normal class schedule is M-F 8am - 12:45pm. It's a lot, but I know I will learn a lot. It's also true about immersion. I have only been in Guatemala four days, and I already have started forming full sentences and speaking in Spanish to new people that are introduced to me.

      Thanks for all the prayers! Please be assured of mine!

      -Chris

      Delete
  3. Nice Chris! Enjoy the sites and food! BTW you might want to change the font... it is kinda hard to read. Learn your spanish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug! Apparently that church we were looking at before I left is really close to here! I changed some of the settings...is it any easier to read?

      Delete