Saturday, February 21, 2015

Jerusalem

Hello everyone!

I pray that everyone is doing great.  I'm doing much better than I was.  I had a stomach bug for the last week and haven't been able to do much with the blog.  Thanks be to God with all the prayers and rest I feel much better than I did!  A lot has happened since my last blog.  We have finished our time in the north and we have moved down to Jerusalem for the final part of the trip.  It is really neat to be here.  It is a big modern city.  They have tons of stores going down the street just like at home, lots of great coffee shops, and even some of the main names you would see at home.  I was surprised to see a Skechers store for example.  Of course they have McDonald's here too!  I have not yet been in Jerusalem, but I know I'll try it.  They also have 3 Kosher McDonald's I heard.  I'm gunna have to search for that too, just so I can say I tried it.

The first full day I was here I got to visit the Holy Sepulcher.  This is a huge church.  It is the church that was built around Calvary and the tomb where Jesus was placed.  Right when you walk in they have the stone he was on where they prepared His body for burial.  The tomb is very small.  Only a few people can be in it at a time.  The Orthodox priests also keep you moving, so you get about 15-20 seconds in the tomb, but it is quite a peaceful few seconds.  The site of Calvary is quite beautiful too.  You can actually place your hand down in a star under the altar of Calvary and touch the actual stones of Calvary!  What a blessing to see and touch all these Holy sites.  Just in reflecting as I type this, the Bible is already starting to be seen differently by me.  One reason is I can say I have been to these places...they exist...they are much more "real".  Another thing is seeing how things are written in the Bible, and then seeing how it is.  For example: I thought the area of the crucifixion and tomb weren't so close together.  Sure in I think John's Gospel it says the tomb was close by, but what's close by?  A five minute walk?  But this tomb is within a couple hundred feet I'd say.  Sorta cool to just visualize it in a new way.

We also have resumed classes.  The first class on Gospel of John was a test and the Prophets class was lecture.  Interesting stuff.  I'm looking forward to the Gospel class the most.  Today we visited the history museum here in Jerusalem.  I'm not one for museums, but it was actually pretty cool.  Seeing things thousands upon thousands of years old, or how weapons for hunting developed over the ages, it was neat to see some of those things.  Tomorrow we have Mass at St. Anne's.  I believe it is supposed to be the house of Sts. Joachim and Anne.  Should be neat.  Some of us also plan to explore tomorrow too.

I can't believe the trip is almost over.  With class and all the movement, it goes by fast.  I'll try to keep you all updated as much as I can in the next couple weeks.  Things will pick up class wise and work load wise since we have reading for classes that we begin when we return.  Hopefully I'll get through it all.  AND ORDINATION.  SUPER EXCITING!!  Only about a month to go.  I can't wait!  Alrighty, please pray for me as I pray for you.

In Christ,
Chris    

No comments:

Post a Comment